So I would assume everyone knows by now that a little over two weeks ago we packed up and moved out of the sunshine state into the chilly (as of now) state of North Carolina.
North Carolina is where Michael was born and raised, and also where I went to college, met Michael, married, had Jude and lived for about six years. We moved back to Florida and stayed there almost two years exactly. We moved there with the intentions of starting a church in downtown Orlando, while we still attended a church in Celebration. We loved the church and the people and could see ourselves in that area forever. But unknown to us, God had a different plan.
Our first sign we would be moving from FL was that Michael could not find a job anywhere! It was so weird because he has two bachelor degrees and a masters, and no where would hire him. He worked for my dad for a while until finally a school hired him as a TA. We kept hoping that a teaching position would become available, but it never did. All the while we were living with my parents, just making enough to pay what few bills we had.
We were getting very impatient with what direction we were supposed to go. So Michael starting applying to jobs all over the US. Just the thought of moving away from FL made me extremely upset. There was no other place I could imagine nor want to live. But one night laying in bed I felt like God was telling me we were going to move and I had the most comforting peace about it. From that point on, I trusted Michael’s decision to move wherever he felt we should go.
A few months passed, and still nothing. So out of curiosity, I updated my resume on the NC School district website and also the Polk County School (in FL) website. Within 30 min I had two principles calling me for NC wanting me to come in the next day for an interview! They both said that they had already called the previous school I taught at as well and were ready for me to start teaching! WOW! I was so scared because I knew Michael would be disappointed in my decision to do this behind his back. That night I broke to him the news. We discussed what it would look like for me to go back to work, while he kept the kids until he could find a job. That night we wrote out a list of what we are called to do by scripture. This was our list:
Michael-
1. Husband
2. Father
3. Leader
4. Provider
Christi-
1. Wife
2. Mother
3.Supporter
4. Caregiver
By me taking the job in NC, we would both not be able to keep all the things on our list. So we decided that what seemed like the better decision at first glance, (for me to take the job) was really not what was best for our family. It was so hard to call back and turn down the jobs. I do really love teaching, and often find myself feeling worthless because I do not have a “real job”. But time and time again I look at my children, who I prayed for and I am reminded that God blessed with these two precious babies to raise, and that is what my job is now! That night, Michael and I went to bed feeling so proud of ourselves. It was like God tested us, and we passed the test. I knew everything would be alright.
My dad had offered Michael a better paying job and we were going to soon be able to afford a place of our own. However, with the hours he would be working, he would not be able to devote much time to church planting and it looked like being able to preach was in the far distant future, still we were headed in that direction.
So the very next night, Michael got a phone call from Tim Bass, a friend of Michael's and a pastor of a church in NC. Tim wanted to offer him a job as a pastor in his church. He said he had been praying for God to show him the right person for two years, and that he knew Michael was the right person. It had not been made public that there was even a position available and the job had not been offered to anyone before Michael. Michael wanted to say YES right away, but said we would take a week to pray about it. That week was full of excitement, dreaming, and questions. It was almost like God handed us exactly what we had been praying for that we never imaged would be possible! Michael came up to NC the next weekend to talk with Tim in person and accepted the position.
All of this took place in the beginning of September and Tim was not planning on announcing it to the Church until Dec 1st. So we had three long months of keeping this news to ourselves! (Hence the hiatus from blogging due to the fact that I couldn’t think of anything else to write about!) But everything from that day on has seemed to fall into place better than I could have ever imagined.
We got approved for a loan, went out looking at houses the week of thanksgiving, and in two weeks moved! Not to mention, into the favorite house we looked at! The seller has been so gracious as to let us rent the home for a month or two until the loan will go through. And the realtor we happened to pick actually goes to the church (we had no idea, but had to tell her the news). She worked so hard to get everything in order for us to be in our own house by Christmas!
Michael has not worked since December 12th, but still got paid through January 1st (an extra check we weren’t expecting to get). However, his first day at the church is this week! He is the new co-pastor of Light House Baptist Church in Benson, NC.
Michael and I often wonder what was God’s purpose for having us in FL these last two years. But looking back we learned that God IS in control, he is sovereign, he does have a purpose and plan and all things work together for HIS good and GLORY.
Here a few things that we have learned from our experiences:
1. We learned that our only security comes from God. Michael is a real saver, and when we were first married we were both working. In that time we saved almost my entire salary from when I was a teacher. But over the last two years, we have had to use every bit of the money we saved to pay our bills. It is so easy to say you trust that God will provide everything, but actually allowing him to provide everything is a different story.
2. We have learned that God is the only one that can satisfy us. When you think that if I can only have ______, and then I will be happy. It is a LIE! Only GOD can fill our empty voids. When Michael and I were dating it was, if we were only married. When we were married, it was if I could only have children. When we had children, it went from if we could only have a job, house, to anything please, we are desperate! We learned that we can be completely happy even when we have nothing.
3. We learned to be patient.
4. We learned that legalism and making Christianity into a set of rules you must follow can ruin people, relationships, and family. It turns some people completely away from Christianity while others it makes proud and boastful. Legalism fuels hatred, condemnation, and judgment on others when we are really called to love, forgive and not judge each other. We are not called to separate ourselves but instead go out and bring the world the good news of the gospel.
4. We learned that there is hope. We were part of an amazing church and met some of the best friends that we have and learned how to really live life with them through all the good and the bad . They constantly reminded me of the gospel and that there is hope in Christ even when you feel like all hope is lost. I will forever be grateful for them!
So there you have it, the story of our move. I can finally write about something else now! I just did not want to miss any of the details! Now here are a few pictures of the house. Some are iphone pictures. Some are of Christmas, and some I took today. We still plan on painting a few rooms, new furniture, hanging more pictures, etc. but here is what we have so far!
It all began Dec 13th:
And this is what we arrived to:






The view outside our front door (a very woodsy neighborhood):
Christmas time inside the house:
Our first DIY project was painting and recovering the chairs.
Second DIY project, the oversize picture matted to a canvas!
Since then, I have also sewn pillows and curtains. We have bought a new TV and TV stand, and plan on getting bookshelves this week. Here is the Living room for now:






Our bedroom and bathroom:
The kitchen and laundry room:
Dining room:
Kids bathroom and hall closet:
Jude’s room and closet:
Eden’s room (Her closet was too messy to photograph!):
The kids love it! Jude tells his “new house” goodbye each time we leave! However he does hate being cold and refuses to go outside without a hat on! He says his head is cold! Dressing for cold weather has been fun and challenging! Eden never matches! Also, Jude does ask for orange juice everyday, so we bought a small juicer to make him a glass. But over all they seem to feel at home! Oh- and Jude also asks to go to church everyday! He really likes his new class and friends as well!!!
We are so thankful to our friends and family who have supported and prayed for us over the last two years. We miss all of our FL friends and family terribly, but we know this is where we are supposed to be! Everyone is welcome to come and visit!
Christi this is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing your family, home, and your thoughts and your learning experiences. What a blessing they were to me.
ReplyDeleteLove You,
Grandma