Baby Food Making Madness

Jude just turned six months a few weeks ago. At this time, I started feeding him three solid foods a day, along with my normal 4 hour nursing schedule. I had originally thought about making all my own baby food but to be honest, it seemed a bit overwhelming. However, I do have a few friends that make their own and they encouraged me to give it a try. Thank you Erika and Lauren!!!

At my first attempt I made bananas and sweet potatoes. It was so simple!! The next day it is safe to say, I went a bit crazy! I made apples, mangos, kiwis, avocados, pears, strawberries, butternut squash, zucchini, and carrots. I thought I would share the process in hopes of encouraging others.



I did have one book to base the whole baby food making process on.
(Thank you Analisa)

I am also fortunate that my parents sell produce. So I did have a wide variety of foods.



First you wash, cut up, peel, etc, all your food and put it in a pot.


Then you add about 2 table spoons of water, bring it
to a boil, and simmer with the lid on for about 5 min.

(Some foods, like this butternut squash, required longer, while some
fruits do not need to be boiled. You can use your own judgment)


 

Add your food & liquids to the food processor. 


And your finished! (The avocado's made the best paste!)


I put everything in a bowl until I was finished cooking and pureeing.
  

Then I put everything in little jars with labels and stuck them in the freezer!
You can also freeze the foods in ice cube trays then transfer to baggies.


The only negative is the clean up! I am so glad my mom has a dishwasher!


Jude has not eaten all of these foods yet. I am introducing something new to him each week.
His favorite so far are pears!

We have spent the last few weeks playing outside. The weather here has been so nice!
Here are a few pictures I took of him on his half birthday!


 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winter

Turning My Grief into Gratitude

Being Completely Satisfied